Pages

Saturday 2 May 2015

An hour on the Ridgeway

With only a couple of hours to spare I decided to visit the Wiltshire Ridgeway.

Entering the footpath with the fields to my left I could see a lot of movement above the crops, checking them out through the binos I could see that there was a mixed flock of Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer and Linnet all good farmland birds.

Moving on and over to the bottom ridge I noticed several blackbirds in the scrubby area in front of me, moving a little closer most of the birds flew out and away from me but one of the birds flew directly over me, as it went I noticed that it had a white neck ring making it a male Ring Ouzel, this was one of the birds I was hoping to see today.

The ring ouzel had landing in the top of a tree not to far from me so I sat down on the ground so as not to disturb it, which let me watch it for a good five minutes before it flew off down the valley and disappeared.

Moving back towards the car two Whitethroats were seen along with more Yellowhammers and Corn Buntings one sat out at the top of a tree giving a good photo opportunity. A nice hour spent on the Ridgeway.













On returning home a Peregrine flew low over the house. DT

No comments:

Post a Comment